Here's something that will ease the pain a bit: (Steps are easy to follow and although it may seem long it's not)
Now that you've unlocked it here's how to sideload apps:
So here’s how to do it (seems long but it’s really easy).
- Head over to Dreamspark.com
- Create an Account/Sign-in with your LIVE ID (the one you use on the marketplace)
- Once your account is complete you’ll be asked to enter your .EDU email address for verification (usual steps of logging in and clicking the link in the confirmation email)
- Go back to dreamspark after verifying your .edu email
- From Developer and Designer tools select ‘Windows Phone and App Hub’
- Choose ‘Map Your Live ID’
- Set it so your .edu email is linked to you LIVE account that you use on the marketplace (unless you want to use your .edu email as your live account)
- Now once your done with that feel free to go ahead and download & install the Windows Phone SDK tools (direct link) and get that out of the way.Now that you’ve made a dreamspark account and linked it to your Windows LIVE & .edu email you want to register on the app hub- which basically gives you the ability to side load apps and publish apps to the Market place WITHOUT having to pay any fees (cause we’re poor students after all )-Note: I’m not sure of the exact order of the next steps as I can’t view them after making my account so I’m going off memory here.
- Go to the AppHub site
- Create an account, while creating select ‘As A Student‘ (which was the whole point of the dreamspark account)
- At this point depending on your university/school it might take a while for you to be verified as a student; do not panic- it took me about 24hrs (no notification that it went through so you’ll have to go and try again)
- You’ll be asked for your location; choose the correct location; and if it’s not available the closest one possible (not guaranteed to work- but if you choose a distant location it will tell you the country address is incorrect later on)
- Complete the rest of the form (since your filling it in as a student it’ll magically skip the payment step)
- Once your done just go verify or confirm the email that you’ll receive.Up till this point we’ve basically created the AppHub account which will give your live ID recognition on the phone you want to unlock. Now for the actual unlocking process- pretty easy and straight forward-
- Connect your Lumia device to the computer (must have Zune running and Lumia screen must be unlocked)
- Open Windows Phone Developer Registration (also part of the SDK package you should have installed)
- Enter your Live Id & Password(that you used on the AppHub)
- Hit Register
- AND YOUR DONE!
All done? Great either have some fun or go bake some cookies; up to you after all your no longer walled in :D